Water Samples for Bacteria Culture
1. Before collecting sample for testing, flush the source by letting it run for 5 - 10 minutes.
2. After flushing the source, collect 50 - 100 ml of water into a sterile container. Unopened Whirlpak type bags are acceptable containers; old mayonnaise jars and soda bottles are not acceptable. Contact the lab and we will provide a sterile container if needed.
3. Immediately after collection, put container into a cooler with ice or ice packs. Do not freeze.
4. As soon as possible deliver to the lab for testing. Using black ink, fill out a postmortem form with the farm information, leave the form in the wall-mounted receptacle labeled "Completed Forms" and put the sample in the holding room refrigerator. It is best to deliver water samples during working hours so the lab can start the test as soon after collection as possible.
5. Results on water samples should be available in 3 - 4 days. A report will be faxed to the growout office or technical department.