THE UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE RESEARCH AND EDUCATION CENTER
In 1941, the Delaware General Assembly passed an act to provide for the establishment of an agricultural substation for lower Delaware. On August 30, 1941, the John A. Tyndall farm (consisting of 310 acres, 200 of which were suitable for horticultural research) was purchased at public auction. In 1983 an additional 37 acres of cropland was purchased. The Research and Education Center (renamed in 1985) is an integral unit of the University of Delaware Agricultural Experiment Station.
The first structure at the new Substation in 1942. This
building is still in use as office space.
In November, 1997 the University dedicated the Lasher Laboratory, which serves as a regional center for poultry diagnostics.
In May, 2006, the University dedicated the Elbert N. and Ann V. Carvel Research and Education Center, to provide space for the growing number of Extension agents, specialist and research professionals that provide service to the Sussex county and Delmarva area.
The facility's staff is responsible for conducting Cooperative Extension and Research Programs in the areas of: Agronomic and Vegetable Crop Production; Farm and Youth Safety; 4-H; Family and Consumer Sciences; Poultry Research and Diagnostic Programs; Master Gardener Education programs; Ornamental Horticulture; Water Quality and Nutrient Management; Expanded Food and Nutrition Programs; and Economic and Community Development. All of these programs are aimed at improving the quality of life through the transfer of research-based information to the consumer.
About the Research and Education Center